I’m usually quiet on matters of transgender people, even though I am one. I like to work one-on-one, by being a decent human being and caring person. I also want to be seen as a multi-dimensional person.
But I cannot stay silent on President Trump’s latest declaration that transgender people are unfit to serve. This from a draft dodger who took five deferments to avoid Vietnam. The irony is delicious.
- Donald Trump is wrong about transgender in the military. Just like in the 40’s when arguments against blacks being integrated hurt unit cohesion. Just like in the 90’s and 00’s when arguments against gays would hurt unit cohesion. These are the arguments of fearmongers, racists, misogynists, and idiots. There is no data to support their claims. It is old identity politics. It’s stupid, asinine, and fear based on ignorance. America should be better than this.
Gays, women, people of color, transgender folk have always served in the US military. They just couldn’t be open about it. But they’ve always been there, for as long as there has been a United States of America.
- Medical costs on transgender are not “tremendous”, despite Donald Trump’s claims. In fact, it’s cheaper than going to the ER for multiple fractures. The one-time costs on surgery range anywhere from $17,000 to $85,000 depending on the surgeon and the location. Hormones are relatively inexpensive, depending upon the method: pill, patch, or injection. Electrolysis / laser hair removal is $100-$200 per hour and usually comes out of trans person’s own pocket. Other surgeries, such as plastic surgery, are often deemed by insurance companies as optional, so that comes out of our own pockets. Ongoing medical costs are typical for any average woman or man in the long term.
- As Barry Goldwater once said, “”you don’t need to be ‘straight’ to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight.”
- If anyone is unfit to serve, it is you, Donald Trump. And you prove it every time you open your mouth.
- You attacked me, my patriotism, my loyalty, and my humanity. Surely you don’t expect me to roll over and play dead now?
- I’m in the “great game” now. You’ve pissed me off. And millions of decent Americans are not going to put up with this shit.
I will fight because I’ve had to for the past 20 years to exist. I don’t want to fight. But I will. I, and people like me, have a right to live in peace and not be harassed by ignorant phucks like you.
Go to hell.